Saturday, October 4, 2008

Ecco, la mia gioia e' completa


When I first met my husband, and I mean like the first seconds in which we exchanged the basic "hello's" and "my major is...", I knew, somewhere in the depths of my mind, that we would end up together. It was almost 9 months before he finally got a clue and asked me out on a date. The rest, you know, is history.

The point is...I'm psychic.

No, the point is, I was a part of something miraculous.

I guess you could say that I had a similar experience today listening to the morning session of General Conference, in which President Monson announced the new temples that would be built. Seth chanted, with fingers crossed, "Portugal! Portugal!" Whereas, I sat silently waiting for the news I have been expecting since I first stepped onto the "temple grounds" the church had been saving in Rome for years. A temple in Rome.

As we walked among the symbolic olive trees growing on the land, my mission president promised us that a temple would be built there and I felt with all my heart that I would be in that blessed country to see it happen. Despite the discouragement and rejection I felt as a missionary, I believed that I would see a temple go up in that city and that gave me the faith I needed to work hard and spread the good news to everyone I met.

Needless to say, I wept today when I heard the news. So many lives will be eternally changed and blessed! I said a silent, grateful prayer that I'm sure greatly contrasted the shouts of joys that inevitably were offered up by the members in many buildings throughout Italy. A temple in Rome!! Che gioia riempie la mia anima!

I believe a trip to the motherland is in store. I can just feel it.....

6 comments:

A said...

I hear the motherland calling me as well. When we figure out when it will really be, let's collaborate our travel plans. I think I also hear Old Bridge calling, I mean...ruining my life!

Maggie said...

I had tears come to my eyes when I heard the news too. What a blessing. I'm happy that you blogged again. I won't judge you for drinking diet Pepsi, or for freaking out when Tills poops in her panties. :) love ya.

Cali said...

Isn't is amazing?!!!! I am so, so happy. My time in Italy is so dear to me, and I loved how the announcement of the temple brought a flood of memories to my mind. I am so, so happy. And I am grateful that I was able to share that time with you.

I hope you don't mind my saying so, but you were such an amazing companion. Some of the best memories I have are from my time with you in Terni. I'm so grateful that we were able to serve together, and grateful for all of those whom we met that will be blessed with this Temple.

Thank you for blessing my life--I am a better person for knowing you. Glad to hear from you on your blog again--it's good to hear what is going on and how you are doing. Ti voglio bene, bella.

Lily said...

It was a quiet, private moment for me too. Jane had just gone down for a nap, Steve was on his way to take a test, and I was alone with the words of our prophet. It was a moment I will always remember. Along with so many beautiful memories of Italy. I love how this news is setting all of our mission a-buzz, and my mind is racing with thoughts of Italy as well. Good times. Good news. A temple in Rome!

Carrie said...

I immediately thought of you and Krista when I heard the news of a temple in Rome--such a blessing! I loved your entry and it touched my heart, knowing how difficult your mission was but how important your service was too. Heidi reminded me of a time when my parents were in Switzerland at the temple and how there were many youth from Italy there doing baptisms for the dead. Soon the journey won't be so far :)

Krista said...

This is very exciting. You wrote a beautiful post.