When I was in the prime of my ugly, early-adolesence, I was introduced to the New Kids on the Block by none other than my highly fashionable Canadian cousin, Micky. I had their tape, "Hangin' Tough", knew all the words to their songs, and, (however unsuccessfully), learned their basic dance moves. I remember they were on Oprah and Micky recorded it for me to watch. We screamed like silly 12 year olds do and cried when the fab 5 came out from behind the curtain singing and dancing. Oh what bliss!I bought a poster that I hung above my bed, and, even though I hate to admit it, kissed each of their faces when i was feeling especially love sick over them. oh the shame! Jon was my favorite. (Now I see I was practically in love with Wynona Ryder. Very much a strong resemblance...don't you think?)
My brothers destroyed the poster by drawing lame moustaches and tattoos on each face. I think I cried for a week. I never got over it, obviously, because I recently found all my NKOTB memorabilia: posters, tapes, buttons....I was obsessed.
But not for long.
One day I just got over them. I didn't even care that they were coming to SLC for a concert. I didn't want to go and I took the poster down that I had left hanging in all it's grafitti-ed glory. Just like that. hmf. And that was the end of that.
And then, 15 yrs later, I read this? I may just have to tune in.
7 comments:
I've been hoping this is an elaborate April Fool's joke since I saw the article on my hotmail this morning. Jon was my favorite, too, though my parents never bought me anything having to do with them except a paper folder. How wise they were.
this was way funny! I never got in to NKOB for SOME reason! I was invited to the concert with my cousins AND I went. The boys took off their t-shirts and I was totally over it...get me out of there (remember, I was young)! seck. So one of my cousins and I decided to play tag in the parking lot outside the concert instead. go figure.
You crack me up, Mary. Thanks for the new post--it's good to hear from you! I need somebody around who has a sense of humor like you do. You kept me alive in Terni! Thanks for a good laugh. Ti voglio bene.
Sweet! Let's go. I too loved NKOTB. I had the NKOTB pillowcase. I kissed Jordan good night every night. Have you listened to the tape since? It's hilarious how lame the music is.
So i just found hte olympus 98 blog! i saw you and had to say hi! your beautiful! fun to read....you are hilarious!
(its tanna bourne)
Sick, all I have to say is sick.
I never really got into the New Kids vibe. My cousins who lived in Hawaii for a bit totally did though and I remember seeing their posters and so on when they moved back to Utah and all I could think was "why?" I mean they were no Mark Paul Gosselar--my one and only true tween crush!
Totally go to the concert--I'll come and we can bring Krista to run around with in the parking lot when we get bored :)
Post a Comment