Friday, November 28, 2008

Black Friday

Early this morning, my little Tills climbed into bed with me. She had spent the night before being sick over and over again and I used every last blanket and set of sheets I could find before she finally relented and made it through the rest of the night. As I snuggled her close to me, I realized how grateful I was that she had made it until......? wait, what time was it again? 6 am? 6am nothing! It was 2. 2am. 2:00. I hadn't even been asleep for 2 hours. good grief, girl! Go to bed!!! I ushered her back to her own room and bed and she. had. a. meltdown. Waaaaaaah!

Now, normally, I would just ignore it and let her cry herself to sleep, but we have company and her hysterics weren't really conducive to the sleeping arrangements. ah, geez. For the first hour I did my best to console her and help her calm down and then gave up. Seth took the second shift, but to no avail. This baby was not going to sleep. I went in her room and practically yelled, "what are you doing?! People are trying to sleep in this house! Stop crying and GO TO BED!" But that didn't really work and just made her more upset (surprising, I know!) In a state of desperation I threatened, "if you don't stop crying, you're going to have to go to sleep in the car! Do you want to stay in your bed or go to the car?!" Well, guess what she chose? the car, of course. Since Seth was awake now, too, we decided to pack up the car and take a little drive.

It was 4 am at this point so the streets were pretty empty. Neither Seth nor I has ever participated in the Black Friday sales, so we thought it would be interesting to see if there were lines already forming. Walmart and Best Buy already had ridiculous lines. Who are these crazy people? Standing in the freezing cold rain, waiting for their doorbuster deals? Not my idea of a great day. We drove all over the city: Toys R Us, Target, Office Depot, the malls, hundreds of people everywhere. After almost an hour the traffic got heavy and our baby had finally fallen asleep. I felt tempted just once to wait in line, but then I remembed what I was wearing (and not wearing!) and decided against it. We rolled in our driveway on the heels of 5am. What a night! sheesh!

What do you think was the best deal we saw the whole morning? Gas at Costco. $1.49/gallon. That seemed like something worth waking up early for.

12 comments:

Julie Pia said...

Oh Mary,

I'm so sorry. I hope you are fast asleep right now. What a night! How is Tilly? Is she feeling better? How was your Thanksgiving? I hope you had a good one.

Love you, Julie

Krista said...

oooo. that does sound like a rather DARK friday. It's good that you didn't come to see "Dark Knight" with us too...that might have been just too much Dark stuff. :)

Carrie said...

I am proud of you for resisting the shopping for deals urge--I mean you were already up and driving around! I don't think I would have been that tough (even without certain items of clothing...I mean if I had a had a coat or sweater on...yikes!) Sorry for the early wake-up call. Hope Tills has a great weekend of sleep for you.

A said...

Don't worry, you didn't miss anything. The deals last year were much better. And the deals at Toys R Us the past three weekends were all better than their Black Friday deals anyway. We went to honor tradition, but I only bought pajamas for Jackson. Nothing amazing to say the least.

A Momma said...

Scott and I are into Black Friday. Although, since having a baby, I'm not really into waiting outside at 1 am for hours to get into a store, or pushing through a crowd to save $10 on a DVD. I made Scott go alone this year and then went once he got home to see if there were any good deals left. If you plan out a route, it isn't that bad. Maybe someday I'll convince you to go with me. Not at 1 am though, at a more reasonable hour, like 5 am. ;)

Julie Pia said...

Hey Mary,

You left last night before getting your "thank-you" gift. I volunteered to bring it to you. I will be over sometime today, but I'm going to leave it in the mail box. Crazy day, sorry!

Mariposa said...

amber and heather....you guys are just crazy! do you hear me?! CRAZY!!

The Gurrs said...

That little Tillers :) I see those Moms that have the look or the threat and the kids instantly obey--how does that work? It doesn't happen in my house.

I loved the story about being a daughter of God. I read it to Peter and he says you're pushing the gospel a little too much :) Really, it just means you're a great mommy and your little girl will never forget who she is!

Elieson Family said...

hey Braun's - saw the Hunter's had you on their list and wanted to see how you were doing. In SL valley? Fun! See ya around - and yes I believe that - it always happens.

Julie Pia said...

Where the heck are you Mary? I need you to blog because I need your wealth of knowledge and wisdom to flow into my life.....ha ha!

No really, I miss you! How are you?
Hope all is well. I've been thinking about you. We need to go to lunch and have a good chat!

I'll call you, but until then.....peace out!

Erin said...

Good grief girl! Post something about this little one inside of you. I want to know!!!

Bryan and Lindsay said...

Hey Mary,

You are hilarious! I love your blog. You can't stop writing because you're just too funny :). We'll have to hang out again soon!