Tuesday, July 22, 2008
Gone to Carolina in my mind?
Having been in North Carolina for the past month really has felt like somewhat of a dream. You know that dream where you go away for a month and don't do any work or care about email communications or cell phones and just sit at the pool all afternoon and eat your sister's sweet homemade food? That is a dream I never mind having twice!
But reality is surely around the corner, as I feared it would be, and I am absolutely unprepared for what awaits me back home: work, email and cell phones, no pool and my mom's sweet homemade food. (yes! yes! yes! yes!)
Some of my favorite things this past month include:
1) My husband, hands down. Being away from each other was miserable. Being together made me realize that I am madly and desperately in love with this man.
2) Reading the entire Sarah Agnes Prine trilogy in 10 days. I felt so sassy and brave throughout the whole thing: I was pretty much ready to use a shot gun if necessary and then took to calling everyone an ornery cuss and a rapscallion. Jack Elliot was divine and I cried my fair share through each book. Very lovely to get lost in a well-written novel again....(sigh!)
3) Seeing the "Twelfth Street Exit" sign on my way to my sister's house every day. The word twelfth is just a bit difficult to say so I liked to practice it while Tillie and I rode the bus. Have you tried to say it yet? "twelfth." yep...just a little tough, still.
4) Having the Holts come to visit all the way from Ohio. That was purely kind of them. We enjoyed their company and had a sweet little game of chicken foot and settlers. And please....their baby is adorable.
5) Being with my dahling sister and spending more time with her than I have in years. I am awed and amazed at how much she does and how creative she is. I enjoyed cooking and sewing with her and talking about being the mother of silly daughters. She is beautiful in every way and I love her!
6) Shopping at Goodwill. I just love it! I like knowing that I am the kind of person that gets excited about finding old handkerchiefs for 29 cents.
7) Tillie becoming such a "girl." Her new favorite thing to say is "You hurt my feelings!" Or when she can't do something she says, in a really serious voice, "that's kinda hard." It makes me laugh every time. My favorite one liner was when we were helping her give a blessing on the food and Seth said, "Thank you for the food," and Tillie very politely whispered, "you're welcome." mmm...i like this girl.
8) Eating fresh, yummy herbs and veggies from the Christensen's garden. Provident living at it's finest.
9) Shopping at Aldi. It made me feel like I was back at the Dico in Ladispoli, Italy. Memories from the corner of my mind....
10) Just being together as a our own little family. We relished every minute of it.
The number one thing I will NOT miss about Charlotte, NC:
1) The sweaty, humid weather.
(and the runner up):
2) The flies that nearly killed me by swarming me just for a lick of my grilled cheese sammy.
We look forward to seeing everyone when we return!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



9 comments:
Hey Mary, I was totally excited to see that you had a new post today. Sounds like quite the party around there, I'm glad you're having such a great time. I just have to ask if they were playing Skater Boy by Avril Lavigne in Aldi. I swear every single time I went to Dico that song was on. And speaking of house dresses and Italy, I still have that purple one you gave me when I got to Ladispoli. You know, for posterity's sake. Anyway, I have been noticing lately that Jackson looks like a little boy now, not a toddler at all. And that was the first thing I though when I saw these pics of Tillie. They are getting so big!
Your daughter is so cute! I love the pics. But when I really think about it, I shouldn't be too surprised. She is my twin after all! I love you guys!
I can't believe I was the third one to post!!! Hey, you're only three hours from home now, we missed you at the Johnny M concert. Can't wait to have you back.
I miss you! I am so glad you are back and that you had some great family time! Let's get together soon!
So, when are you coming back? We're starting a penny jar for the Brauns so you can buy the vacant haunted house across the street from us!!!!
Hi Mary. I don't know if you remember me or not but I was in your ward in the Colony and was friends with Seth for a while. I just came across your blog from Danika's. Your daughter is beautiful. I am glad you all are doing so well. I actually live in Charlotte now. I am glad you enjoyed your visit and ditto you on the nasty weather!
Tillie is so cute and looking so grownup. I know that is a total Grandma thing to say, but oh well.
I'm having Mary withdrawals. That is all...
Can you say Saucy chicken? I like the pic of tillie in the apron. Love and miss you.
Post a Comment