Tuesday, September 25, 2007

There's no place like home

so...for those we haven't talked to yet...the brauns have returned to SLC. If you're sitting at your computer, mouth wide open in utter shock, then let us say: we apologize. If, on the other hand, you're sitting at your computer, laughing your pants off, then let us say: shame on you! We might add, in all fairness, that it was a sudden decision and only family has really been in on the loop, so don't feel too bad if you didn't know. If you're ready for the story, settle in now. If you prefer the short version, stop now and call a friend for the gist of it later.

Allora...four score and seven years ago, the brauns set off for DC. As you may have figured, we believed with full heart that we would find something that would help us get a leg up in the international realm. We packed all our belongings and fit what we could in our X Terra and set off to drive through Wyoming, Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Maryland and Virginia. 4 kajillion hours/miles later, we set up camp at our friend's abode and set to work to find our future career.

As you know, I found work with a small ESL school and Seth was finding odd jobs with the temp agency but nothing else too promising. As our time of free-loading from our friends was drawing nigh, we felt confused, frustrated, scared, you name it. We couldn't feel good about any of the places we were looking at, and when it really came down it, we didn't even know if we would be able to afford anything "acceptable". As I was interviewing for more full-time jobs that might give us a better income and more elbow room, I had to really be honest with myself and came to realize that emotionally I was not prepared to leave Tillie with someone else all day. And when we were really being honest with ourselves, we didn't know how long it would be until the "dream job" came along for seth. That was enough to give us a good sit down chat about what we really wanted and were willing to sacrifice. I suppose when it came down to it, we were more about being together and putting off our DC dreams for the time being than being apart just to make it in a city that might not even have a job for us until 2010. It was a really hard decision to make mostly because it is really important for me to know that my husband feels fulfilled in his profession. But, we both agreed that moving home would be the best thing for our family now. The worst thing for our family, however, was the drive back home! We went through North Carolina to see my sister and her family and my parents came to pick Tillie up and take her home by plane. (thank heavens!!) I think I'm done with driving for the next 2 years!

It sounds silly to say, but moving to DC just to turn around and come home was good for us. I think we needed to push ourselves in that direction to realize our limits and overall expectations from life. I personally needed that reality check that I am NOT cut out for full-time work at this point in my life. Not much else was really resolved with us coming home, however. We're still looking for work and a place to live, but I think we have a little more figured out for the time being. We feel a little sheepish coming home and are sorry for the friends and family back east that we won't be visiting come Thanksgiving and Christmas. But we also feel relieved to be back with the family and friends here in SLC. We missed you guys!

8 comments:

Cali said...

What a roller coaster ride! Dear sister--I'm so sorry that we missed you while we were in UT, but now I look forward to being able to see you when we go home for Christmas! I'm glad that it was a good experience for you. Let me know how everything settles in UT!

Jordan said...

Sorry it didn't work out in DC, but Utah's better anyway, right? It's cheesy to say, but "the Lord works in mysterious ways," but there it is.

Krista said...

finalmente! Hai scritto un posto. :) Adesso, deve leggere in Italiano sempre da kica. Sono molto contenta che siete qui di nuovo anche per sisi. Sisi dice ti voglio bene per tillie. ciao
Grazie anche che avete fatto "babysitter" ieri.

Lily said...

Sweet! I can still understand italian! Meno male. Welcome back, Brauns. I admire your faithful determination to do the right thing, even when it's difficult. Hopefully this means I'll get to see you sooner rather than later! Best wishes with getting settled!

Carrie said...

Good job tackling the hard stuff and blogging about your latest situation. We are happy to have you back! Hang in there--things will find a way of working themselves out.

Abbie said...

Dude, DC still rocks, it just didn't rock this time for you. Scott and I (and baby) will hopefully rock it next fall but we'll see. Anyway. I can't wait to see you next week! And THANK YOU for the update. I had about given up.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad we got to chat last week! You know I love ya!

Marlo said...

I don't feel so alone in our crazy life anymore! Virginia is no fun onw that we moved away anyway. Have fun in SLC. And Tillie is a super megababe.